John Leonard Riddell papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of diaries, notebooks, newspaper clippings, and other printed material of John Leonard Riddell. There are also several articles by Riddell's bibliographer, Karlem Riess.
- Creation: 1829-1977
- Riddell, John Leonard, 1807-1867 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions. May not be photocopied due to fragility.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
John Leonard Riddell, physician, biologist, and inventor, was born in Leyden, Massachusetts, February 20, 1807. In 1835 he was appointed professor of chemistry and botany at Cincinnati Medical College and published his "Synopsis of the Flora of the Western States." He received his medical degree in 1836 from Cincinnati Medical College. He then went to New Orleans as professor of chemistry at the Medical College of Louisiana, where he invented the binocular microscope. He continued to work at the Medical College throughout the rest of his life. In New Orleans, he also became smelter and refiner at the U.S. Mint, a member of the River Control Commission, Postmaster of New Orleans, and a member of the Board of Inquiry into causes of yellow fever.
3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged chronologically. The collection consists of 4 boxes. It is 3 linear feet.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jefferson D. Riddell. Date acquired: 11/30/1943.
Accruals and Additions
Additional diary acquired in 1999.
Existence and Location of Copies
Items in Series 2: Journals can be accessed remotely through the finding aid or by visiting the John Leonard Riddell papers digital collection at Tulane University Digital Library.
This collection or portions of this collection have been digitized and can be accessed remotely through the finding aid or by visiting Tulane University Digital Library.
Archon collection record originally created in 2009. Portions of this collection were digitized by the Tulane University Digital Library in 2018.
Genre / Form
- Biologists -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Botanists -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Inventors -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Medical colleges -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 19th century.
- Scientists -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Nain Martinez
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2011: Finding aid information entered in Archon by LAC Group in 2011. Revised by LAC Group 10/10/11.
- 2019-08-13: Inventory description edited by Althea Topek: Added series; changed description from box level to series, file, and item level.