John Leonard Riddell papers
The collection consists of diaries, notebooks, newspaper clippings, and other printed material of John Leonard Riddell. There are also several articles by Riddell's bibliographer, Karlem Riess.
- Other: Date acquired: 11/30/1943
- Riddell, John Leonard, 1807-1867. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions. May not be photocopied due to fragility.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
3 Linear Feet
Biographical / Historical
John Leonard Riddell, physician, biologist, and inventor, was born in Leyden, Massachusetts, February 20, 1807. In 1835 he was appointed professor of chemistry and botany at Cincinnati Medical College and published his "Synopsis of the Flora of the Western States." He received his medical degree in 1836 from Cincinnati Medical College. He then went to New Orleans as professor of chemistry at the Medical College of Louisiana, where he invented the binocular microscope. He continued to work at the Medical College throughout the rest of his life. In New Orleans, he also became smelter and refiner at the U.S. Mint, a member of the River Control Commission, Postmaster of New Orleans, and a member of the Board of Inquiry into causes of yellow fever.
Arranged chronologically. The collection consists of 4 boxes. It is 3 linear feet.
Source of Acquisition
Jefferson D. Riddell.
Accruals and Additions
Additional diary acquired in 1999.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 319162646
Archon collection record originally created in 2009.
- Riess, Karlem.
- Biologists -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Botanists -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Inventors -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Lecture notes.
- Manuscripts (document genre)
- Medical College of Louisiana.
- Medical colleges -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 19th century.
- New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 19th century
- Scientists -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Nain Martinez
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2011: Finding aid information entered in Archon by LAC Group in 2011. Revised by LAC Group 10/10/11.