C. Edmund Kells papers
Scope and Contents
This collection is composed primarily of the professional papers of Louisiana dentist and inventor, C. Edmund Kells, D.D.S. (1856-1928). Included are his printed patents with ribbons and seals, issued by the United States and by Canada, correspondence, printed material such as brochures and a few miscellaneous issues of dentistry journals, invitations, letterhead stationery, envelopes, business cards, calling cards, appointment cards, accounting sheets, checks, drawings of his inventions and the layout of his office in the Maison Blanche building in New Orleans, scrapbooks of clippings, programs, and photographs. The collection includes typed letters written after his death, concerning the creation of a Dental Museum.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
C. Edmund Kells was born in New Orleans, Louisiana, on Oct. 21, 1856, the son of dentist Charles E. Kells. He became a dentist, researcher, and inventor, best known for his pioneering work with x-rays. His experiments caused the loss of most of his left arm. He was very active professionally, being interested in various innovations in dental technology, as well as techniques of facial reconstruction. A printed photographic portrait of Dr. Kells appears in the program of a testimonial dinner in his honor given by the Odontographic Society of Chicago, 1926. Tulane University presented him with an honorary degree in 1927.
1.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into 2 boxes and 1 oversize folder. It is 1.5 linear feet.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 303704805
- Kells, C. Edmund (Charles Edmund), b. 1856.
- Dental technology Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dentistry -- History -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Dentists -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inventors -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- History Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Teeth -- Radiography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Jazmin Smith and Deborah Dixon
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description