Adrien Emmanuel Rouquette papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains letters, poems, articles, drawings, photographs, maps and other documents pertaining to Adrien Emmanuel Rouquette. Original manuscripts, as well as photocopies and typed transcripts of text are included. Also includes papers of his biographer, Dagmar Renshaw LeBreton.
Biographical Note: Adrien Emmanuel Rouquette, an ecclesiastic of the Roman Catholic Church, was of European and American parentage; his father, Dominique Rouquette, was French, and his mother, Louise Cousin, was a native of Louisiana. He was born in New Orleans, and received his education in France, at the Royal College of Nantes; studied for the bar but relinquished it for the Church, becoming affiliated with the Catholic seminary at New Orleans. He was known for writing poetry and prose in French and English. He was a missionary who worked among the Choctaw Indians, who gave him the name Chahta-Ima. Obituary in the Times-Democrat, July 16, 1887.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1850-1890
- Rouquette, Adrien, 1813-1887 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into 2 boxes. It is 1 linear foot.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dagmar Renshaw LeBreton and others. She collected these papers from various sources when writing a biography of Rouquette, entitled: Chahta-Ima. Date acquired: 11/30/1947.
- Bayou Lacombe (La) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church -- United States -- History -- 19th century.
- Choctaw Indians -- Missions -- Louisiana -- Saint Tammany Parish -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Missionaries -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Jazmin Smith
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description