Phoenix Utility Company records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists primarily of 19 centimeter x 24 centimeter photographs relating to New Orleans building projects of the Phoenix Utility Company during the 1920s. These feature the construction of the Market St. Steam Electric Station Extension and they depict not only buildings and utility construction details, but also laborers. Also included in this collection are handwritten and typed daily work journals with charts, diagrams, and descriptions of public works projects. The journals, kept by Edmund B. Martin, engineer, give details of cost, labor, materials, and work done for various underground projects.
- Phoenix Utility Company (New Orleans, La.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The Phoenix Building Company of New Orleans worked on the construction of the Market Street Steam Electric Station extension as well as many underground projects.
1 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by medium, then chronologically. The collection consists of two boxes. It is 1 linear foot.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mrs. Edmund B. Martin. Date acquired: 10/01/1974.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 427651178
Collection processed in 1973 and reprocess in 2004 by Melissa Smith.
- Martin, Edmund B.
- Construction projects -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journals (accounts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Orleans (La) -- Buildings, structures, etc Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Public utilities -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public works -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Jazmin Smith
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description