Menke, Burlage, and Kracke families papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of German manuscript poetry from the 1850s. Some of the poems were written by Reinhardine Menke, but most are of unknown authorship. Most of the poems are contained in Menke's composition books (1844, 1850-1856). These notebooks also contain moral philosophies supported by biblical quotations. Also included is family correspondence (1866-1887), compositions and school exercises (1854, 1873-1879), clippings of German and English poetry, and a notebook of Johann Hermann Buhrlage that contain some copies of his letters regarding his 1847 trip from Germany to New Orleans.
- Menke family. (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Reinhardine Menke came to New Orleans from Bremen, Germany. Around 1856, she married Johann Hermann Buhrlage, who came to New Orleans from Talge, Germany in 1847. They apparently had a son named J. Edgar Burlage.
In 1856 Louise Reinhardine Menke Burlage married J.F.L. Kracke. They had a son named Thomas Wharton Kracke.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic as follows: correspondence, poetry in German, poetry in English, grammar exercises in English, compositions, notes, other items, clippings, and composition and note books. The collection is made up of one box.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Frank Kane. Date acquired: 10/11/1979.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 746084032
Collection processed in 1978 by MHK.
- Buhrlage, Johann Hermann.
- Burlage, Reinhardine Menke.
- Burlage family.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- German Americans -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- German poetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kracke family.
- Menke family.
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Poetry Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Writings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description