Berthe Amoss papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of greeting cards, coloring books, preliminary sketches, water color washes, mock-ups, manuscript and typed drafts, paste ups, and publisher's galley proofs of books by Berthe Amoss. Also includes manuscript and typed drafts as well as sketches and water colors of The Mysterious Prowler, text by Joan Lowery Nixon, with illustrations by Amoss. The collection also includes correspondence with publishers.
- Amoss, Berthe. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Lousiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Berthe Amoss was born in New Orleans and attended Newcomb College and Tulane University where she holds a Master's degree in English and art. From 1982 until 1994, she taught children’s literature at Tulane and wrote a column, "Reading, Writing, and Children," for The Times-Picayune. She is an author and illustrator of children's books, young adult books, and how-to books. She is the president of the Crocodile Press and designs advent calendars for the National Gallery of Art. From 2001-2003 she was the first recipient of a Newcomb College Authors Fellowship during which time she taught a course on children's literature.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically by book project in boxes 1-3; materials in box 4 are Chinese in topic and are arranged by medium. The collection consists of four boxes and three oversized folders.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Berthe Amoss. Date acquired: 11/30/1981.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 740884460
Collection processed in 1990.
- Amoss, Berthe.
- Nixon, Joan Lowery.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drafts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Galley proofs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Greeting cards Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Illustrated children's books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Mock-ups Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Watercolor paintings Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Berthe Amoss papers
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note