Hewitt L. Ballowe papers
Scope and Contents
Dr. Hewitt L. Ballowe was a physician and folklorist from Buras and Diamond, Louisiana. The collection consists of Ballowe's correspondence, a large number of handwritten and typewritten drafts of his books, newspaper clippings, bills and receipts, certificates, genealogy, a photograph, and a scrapbook containing William L. Shirer's Berlin Diaries in newspaper clippings. Most of the correspondence is with Dr. R. Matas, M.M. Wilkerson of Louisiana State University Press, the Louisiana Historical Society, and Guy Lyle of the Louisiana State University Library.
- Ballowe, Hewitt Leonard, b. 1876. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic as follows: Groleau genealogy; correspondence (1923-1951); invitations, tickets, and other papers; financial records (1825-1888, 1923-1940); maps; photograph; newspaper clippings (1947-1949 and undated); a poem; certificates; drafts of literary works; and a scrapbook of the Shirer's "Berlin diary" and notebooks of handwritten drafts. The collection consists of three boxes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Dr. Charles Roland. Date acquired: 11/02/1956.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 731984919
- Ballowe, Hewitt Leonard, b. 1876.
- Matas, Rudolph, 1860-1957.
- American literature -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Creoles -- Louisiana -- Folklore Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drafts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Louisiana Historical Society.
- Plaquemines Parish (La) -- Social life and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Hewitt L. Ballowe papers
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description