Sophie Bell Wright collection
Scope and Contents
Sophie Bell Wright was a New Orleans resident dedicated to the education of children and the physically disabled. At the age of fifteen she opened a day school for girls in her mother's home. She expanded this school into the Home Institute, a boarding school with a full staff. She later founded a night school for boys. The collection was originally mounted in two scrapbooks, consisting of material collected by Jennie Wright. It consists of correspondence, school materials and programs, musical programs, announcements and invitations, news clippings about Wright and her schools, and items of interest to the Wright sisters. Also included is a biography of Wright.
- Other: Majority of material found within 1898-1901
- Wright, Jennie. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Language of Materials
The collection begins with a biography of Wright and then the correspondence that follows is arranged chronologically; the other papers in Box 1 are arranged by topic. Box 2 consists of newsclippings and scrapbook page copies that are arranged chronologically. The collection is made up of 2 boxes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Jennie Wright.
Collection processed in 1989 by ML and HB.
- Education -- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wright, Sophie B. (Sophie Bell), 1866-1912.
- Biographies Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Free Night School for Men and Boys (New Orleans, La.)
- Home Institute (New Orleans, La.)
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Postcards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Souvenir programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Women educators -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description