Frances Parkinson Keyes papers
Scope and Contents
The Frances Parkinson Keyes papers consist of family material and correspondence, including that of her husband, Senator Henry W. Keyes, as well as Keyes's own biographical material and business correspondence with her publishers. Also included are Keyes's writings, articles, fan mail, photographs, and financial materials.
- Other: Majority of material found within 1920-1971
- Keyes, Frances Parkinson, 1885-1970. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Frances Parkinson Keyes (1885-1970) was an American writer as well as wife to United States Senator Henry W. Keyes from New Hampshire. She wrote numerous articles in newspapers and magazines, as well as historical novels. Upon her move to New Orleans in the 1950s, her books became particularly focused upon New Orleans and Louisiana life and history. Some of these novels include The Chess Players, Crescent Carnival, Madame Castel's Lodger, Blue Camellia, and Once on Esplanade.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic in the following manner: biographical and family material; family correspondence; fan mail, arranged alphabetically and in chronologically; business correspondence; business correspondence with her publishers, arranged alphabetically by name of publisher; articles published in newspapers and magazines, arranged in two time periods, 1920s-1930s and 1940s-1960s; autobiography; writings; volumes; inventory of books at "Oxbow"; financial materials; cancelled checks; and additional correspondence. The collection consists of 36 boxes.
- Deutsch, Hermann B. (Hermann Bacher), 1889-1970
- Keyes, Frances Parkinson, 1885-1970.
- Keyes, Henry Wilder, 1863-1938.
- Women authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors and publishers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Frances Parkinson Keyes papers
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description