Touro Synagogue records
Scope and Contents
Minutes, office files, marriage, death, and interment records, and other records documenting Touro Synagogue and its two preceding congregations, Gates of Mercy and Dispersed of Judah. Particularly noteworthy are volumes documenting Gates of Mercy from 1866 and continuing as Touro Synagogue through 1944, and minutes from 1853 -1947.
- Touro Synagogue (New Orleans, La.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Touro Synagogue traces its roots to Gates of Mercy, one of the oldest Jewish houses of worship in America beyond the original thirteen colonies. While its roots stretch back to1828, Touro Synagogue in its modern form was founded in 1881 with the merger of two congregations, Gates of Mercy (Shanarai Chasset, var. Shangarai-Chassed) and Dispersed of Judah (Nefusoth Yehudah).
Congregation Gates of Mercy was founded in 1828 as a Sephardic congregation but soon change to Askenazic as the congregants were mostly French and German Jewish settlers. The original congregation was located in a rented building at the corner of St. Louis and Franklin streets.The synagogue moved to a new home on North Rampart Street between St. Louis and Conti Streets in 1843 in a building in disrepair. After a gift of money from Judah Touro, a new building was erected on the site and dedicated in 1851. Gates of Mercy purchased land for a cemetery also in 1828 on Jackson Ave. In 1860, Gates of Mercy purchase property on Elysian Fields at Pelopidas. In 1872, after the founding of Temple Sinai, this property was sold to the Temple which gave all rights to the Hebrew Cemetery Association.
Congregation Dispersed of Judah was founded in 1847 after Gershon Kersheedt persuaded Judah Touro, whose roots were Sephardic, to purchase the old Christ Church buiding on Canal Street corner of Bourbon. It was named after its benefactor, Judah Touro, formerly of Newport, Rhode Island, who had earlier supported Gates of Mercy. Touro, a recluse, requested a private pre-dedicated which he attended, but not the public dedication of the synagogue in his name. He lived on the property in what formerly was the rectory. After Touro's death in 1854, the congregation, which had outgrown the original building, used the money left them by Touro to build a new synagogue on Carondelet street. Dispersed of Judah's cemetery is on Canal St. Today, it is also owned and managed by Hebrew Rest Cemetery Association.
In 1881 the two congregations merged and adopted the name Hebrew Congregation Gates of Mercy of the Dispersed of Judah (Shanarai-Chasset Nefutzot Yehuda). The two congregations occupied the Carondelet synagogue. The congregation hired a new Rabbi, Issac Leucht, as their spiritual leader (see Manuscripts Collection 853, Rabbi Isaac L. Leucht papers). Leucht had been the Torah reader at Gates of Mercy. At his recommendation, the congregation began to call itself Touro Synagogue in to honor the benefactor of both preceding congregations, although the official change did not take place until 1937.
Although Touro Synagogue had attempted to become more reform as early as 1868 at the urging of then Rabbi James K. Gutheim, it officially became a reform congregation in 1890s. The Womens League [later Sisterhood] was formed in 1895. Touro moved to its current location on St. Charles Avenue in 1909. The new Synagogue, designed by Emile Weil, had an organ, a true sign of complete conversion to Reform Judaism. Inside the neo-Byzantine structure the pillars of the Ark of the Covenant made of cedar from Lebanon were moved from the original Dispersed of Judah synagogue on Canal Street to Carondelet street and finally to St. Charles Avenue.
43.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic, and chronologically. The collection is 34 linear feet, and consists of 5 boxes, 74 volumes and 3 oversize folders.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Touro Synagogue. Date acquired: 03/04/1974.
- Leucht, Isaac L.
- Cemeteries -- Jewish Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judaism -- United States -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judaism -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Religious life and customs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Synagogues -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Touro Synagogue records
- Rebecca Clark and Eira Tansey and Catherine Kahn
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US