New Orleans YWCA records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of meeting minutes, correspondence, financial reports, scrapbooks, program packets, newspaper clippings, and pamphlets produced by the New Orleans YWCA during its regular operation between 1911 and 1981.
- Other: Majority of material found within 1911-1969
- New Orleans YWCA. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The New Orleans YWCA was first established in 1911 at 920 Common Street. Its original services included the provision of rooms, food and a gymnasium; later, educational programs and activities were added. The location has changed numerous times over the years. An African-American branch operated during the 1930s and 1940s. In the early twenty-first century, the YWCA of Greater New Orleans was located at 601 South Jefferson Davis Parkway, but this building was destroyed in Hurricane Katrina, and demolished early in 2011. More information about the YWCA New Orleans and its post-Katrina recovery efforts, is available on the web site: http://www.ywca.org/site/pp.asp?c=fuLSI6OYH&b=66890 " ... the YWCA of Greater New Orleans served as a premier organization providing living accommodations and housing for self-supporting women. It has been at the forefront of social change and service delivery for women and girls since its inception."
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into six major sections by topic, including the organization's history, administration, correspondence, miscellaneous YWCA materials, non-YWCA materials, and YWCA scrapbooks. Each section and subsection is arranged chronologically. The collection consists of 63 boxes and 36 scrapbooks.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the YWCA of New Orleans. Date acquired: 11/30/1979.
- Social service -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Girls -- Societies and clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Orleans YWCA.
- Race relations -- Southern States -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Women -- Societies and clubs -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans YWCA records
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US