Hermann Bacher Deutsch papers
Scope and Contents
The Hermann Bacher Deutsch papers consist of the writer and journalist's correspondence, photographs, financial materials, scrapbooks, family papers, Lee Christmas materials, Huey Long materials, and materials on New Orleans cuisine. Also included in the collection are Deutsch's manuscript of the Huey Long Murder Case, Frances Parkinson Keyes' manuscripts of Steamboat Gothic and Blue Camellia, as well as materials from Deutsch's collaboration with Isadore Cohn for the book the Biography of Dr. Rudolph Matas.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1920-1970
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Hermann Bacher Deutsch was a journalist with the New Orleans Item for over four decades. He also wrote for the Saturday Evening Post, Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Collier's, the Literary Digest, and several books. Deutsch also wrote, in collaboration with Isidore Cohn, the Biography of Dr. Rudolph Matas. The Huey Long Murder Case was written with the permission of Russell Long. He also wrote about the state of Louisiana, with close attention to New Orleans' cuisine.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic and then chronologically as follows: family papers, biographical materials, writings, gourmet materials, published writings, daily diaries (1916-1970), correspondence (1911-1970), photographs, work books (1903-1913), financial papers (1922-1969), Deutsch ledgers and writings of others, Lee Christmas materials, Huey Long material, Frances Parkinson Keyes material, and Rudolph Matas material. The collection is made up of 27 boxes, 24 volumes, and 3 oversized folders.
Method of Acquisition
Gift of Eberhard Deutsch. Date acquired: 11/30/1969.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 727769710
Collection processed in 1993 by Helen Burkes
- Christmas, Lee.
- Cohn, Isadore, 1885-1980.
- Deutsch, Eberhard P. (Eberhard Paul), 1897-1980.
- Deutsch, Hermann B. (Hermann Bacher), 1889-1970
- Keyes, Frances Parkinson, 1885-1970.
- Long, Huey Pierce, 1893-1935.
- Cooking -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journalists -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Hermann Bacher Deutsch papers
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description