William Preston Johnston letters
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of ten letters written by William Preston Johnston (1831-1899) while acting as the first president of Tulane University. Johnston wrote to Jefferson Davis, Mrs. M.F. Robertson, Major E.C. Wharton, and General Henry M. Cist. His letter to Jefferson Davis was a reply to Davis' inquiry regarding the contents of a war letter criticizing the Confederate administration, written by a Dr. Yandell. Johnston was assisting Cist with an article about his father, General Albert Sydney Johnston. The letters dated between 1889 and 1891 in folder 2 include the following: the first notes his father's reluctance to discuss his work in his letters, the second is to an autograph seeker, and the third is about confederate generals.
- Johnston, William Preston. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Language of Materials
Arranged chronologically in two folders.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Date acquired: 11/30/1949.
Collection processed in 1977 by KFP.
- Cist, Henry Martyn, 1839-1902.
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889.
- Johnston, Albert Sidney, 1803-1862.
- Johnston, William Preston.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Generals -- Confederate States of America Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Stationery Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tulane University -- History.
- William Preston Johnston letters
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note