Albert Sidney and William Preston Johnston papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of business and personal correspondence, business and legal papers, printed and original manuscripts, newspaper clippings, diaries, scrapbooks, and ledgers of William Preston Johnston (1831-1899) and his father, Albert Sidney Johnston (1803-1862). The Albert Sidney Johnston materials date from 1827 when he was a lieutenant stationed at Jefferson Barracks to his death at the Battle of Shiloh in 1862. The materials that relate to William Preston Johnston cover his careers as colonel in the Confederate Army, professor at Washington and Lee, president of Louisiana State University, and first president of Tulane University.
- Johnston, William Preston (1831-01-05-1899-07-16) (Person)
- Johnston, Albert Sidney, 1803-1862. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No know restrictions. Researchers note that most volumes are actually housed within Boxes 60-62.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Albert Sidney Johnston (1803-1862) saw extensive combat during his military career, fighting in the Texas War of Independence, the Mexican-American War, the Utah War, and the American Civil War. He served as general in the United States, Texas, and Confederate Armies. At the outbreak of the Civil War, Johnston was the commander of the United States Army Department of the Pacific. He resigned his post and was named a general in the Confederate Army. Johnston launched a massive surprise attack against Grant at the Battle of Shiloh, where Johnston was killed by a bullet wound to his leg. His only son was William Preston Johnston (1831-1899), who also served in the Confederate Army, and was the first president of Tulane University.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by medium, then chronologically. The collection consists of 62 boxes and 85 volumes.
- Johnston, Albert Sidney, 1803-1862.
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College presidents Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Johnston family.
- Manuscripts (document genre) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Orders (military records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Tulane University -- History.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description