Caroline Plaff collection on John McDonogh
Scope and Contents
This collection of materials focuses on the life and work of John McDonogh (1779-1850). The philanthropist, at the time of his death, donated a significant amount of money to the City of New Orleans, enough to open over two dozen public schools. Caroline Pfaff, District Superintendent of Schools in New Orleans during the 1930s, studied the "McDonogh" schools opened using the McDonogh funds as well as McDonogh himself. There is also a book on the court case involving the states of Louisiana and Maryland versus the estate of John McDonogh and the cities of New Orleans and Baltimore (1852).
- 1852, 1931-1941
- Pfaff, Caroline S. (Person)
The collection is stored offsite. Researchers must contact email@example.com at least two business days (48 business hours) in advance for access to these materials.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Caroline Pfaff was the District Superintendent of Schools in New Orleans during the 1930s. She did intensive research on John McDonogh and the public "McDonogh" schools opened in New Orleans using his bequest.
1.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged alphabetically by topic. The collection consists of one box. It is 1 linear foot.
Processed by LAC Group in 2011.
- Education -- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- McDonogh, John, 1779-1850 -- Estate.
- McDonogh, John, 1779-1850.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Philanthropists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public schools -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Caroline Plaff collection on John McDonogh
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note