Skip to main content

C. Milo Williams Photographs

 Collection
Identifier: SEAA-149

Scope and Contents

This collection includes photographic negatives placed on glass plates, which were made by New Orleans architect and amateur photographer C. Milo Williams (1867-1954). Negatives are mostly 8” x 10” in size. Tulane created prints of many negatives in the early 1970s, which are included within the collection. Photographs include members of Williams’ family; landscape views of New Orleans, other areas in Louisiana, and South America; and architecture in New Orleans and elsewhere. Most photographs are unidentified.

Dates

  • 1890s–1910; 1970

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection is the physical property of Tulane University Special Collections. Copyright belongs to the creators or their legal heirs and assigns. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or owner’s heir for permission to publish where Tulane University Special Collections does not hold the copyright. For further information, please contact Research Services at specialcollections@tulane.edu.

Biographical / Historical

Williams, in partnership with his brother, William C. Williams, was a prolific New Orleans architect, focusing on residential work. Together, and separately, the Williams brothers designed late 19th century and turn of 20th century New Orleans residences, many in the Carrollton area of the city.

Extent

10.55 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged into three series: Series 1: Loose Photographs; Series 2: Bound Photographs; Series 3: Glass Plate Negatives.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Photographic negatives were purchased, along with architectural drawings of the Williams brothers, by Samuel Wilson, Jr. at a sale of the contents of the Williams family home at 1035 South Carrollton Avenue, New Orleans, in the mid-1960s. Wilson gave the negatives to Tulane around 1968, and donated the architectural drawings in 1973.

Related Materials

Architectural drawings for the William Brothers reside in the Williams, William C. and Brother Office Records collection (SEAA-037).
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US