Skip to main content

John W. Lawrence Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: SEAA-126

Scope and Contents

This collection of project drawings, from New Orleans architect and educator John W. Lawrence (1923-1971)'s office, were produced during partnerships with other New Orleans architects. Commissions date to the early period of Lawrence’s career, and include academic, medical, residential, and religious buildings throughout Louisiana and Mississippi.

Dates

  • 1950-1958

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection is the physical property of Tulane University Special Collections. Copyright belongs to the creators or their legal heirs and assigns. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or owner’s heir for permission to publish where Tulane University Special Collections does not hold the copyright. For further information, please contact Research Services at specialcollections@tulane.edu.

Biographical / Historical

Lawrence was the dean of the Tulane School of Architecture from 1961 until his death. Partnerships represented include John W. Lawrence and Sam T. Hurst (1951), John W. Lawrence and George A. Saunders (1951-1954), Lawrence, Saunders, and Calongne (1954-ca.1960), Lawrence and Saunders (ca.1960-1971).

Extent

10.00 Linear Feet (3 folders)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Collection is arranged by project.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Records were given by John W. Lawrence’s widow to Tulane in 1982.

Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US