William T. Nolan Office Records
Scope and Contents
This collection of records from William T. Nolan's office, as well as records from predecessor and successor offices, includes project drawings, correspondence, and photographs related to academic, commercial, medical, religious, and residential buildings and alterations. Projects were done in New Orleans, throughout Louisiana, and in a few cities throughout the United States.
- Nolan, William T., 1877-1969 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection is the physical property of Tulane University Special Collections. Copyright belongs to the creators or their legal heirs and assigns. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or owner’s heir for permission to publish where Tulane University Special Collections does not hold the copyright. For further information, please contact Research Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Biographical / Historical
William T. Nolan (1877-1969) was born in Quebec, Canada where he studied law. He moved to New Orleans in 1900 to become secretary-treasurer of the J.D. Connell Iron Works Company, and later became president of the Standard Manufacturing and Construction Company. In addition to serving as president of that company, he set up an architectural office under his own name in 1908. In 1910 he was joined by Peter Torre to form the office of Nolan and Torre. Nolan practiced successfully in New Orleans during the first half of the 20th century, executing a considerable body of work in both Louisiana and Mississippi. Some of his better-known commissions include the Casino in New Orleans City Park, Our Lady of the Lake Sanitarium in Baton Rouge, and the New Edwards Hotel in Jackson, Mississippi.
The office was successfully continued by Nolan’s son, Ulisse, eventually working in partnership with other architects. Important projects of Ulisse Nolan include the present Howard-Tilton Memorial Library at Tulane, the restoration of Armitage plantation in Schriever, Louisiana, and the St. Gabriel Prison Facility in St. Gabriel, Louisiana.
Office chronology: William T. Nolan (1908-1910; 1921-1946); Nolan and Torre (1910-1921) (Peter Torre, 1880-1953); Nolan, Norman, and Nolan (1946-1974) (Alexander W. Norman, 1893-1963; Ulisse Nolan, 1911-1998); Nolan, Holcombe, Apatini, and Seghers (1974-1980) (Thomas B. Holcombe, Jr., 1926-1985; Paul Apatini 1931-1992; Donald P. Seghers, b. 1933); Nolan, Holcombe, and Apatini (1980-1986).
468.78 Linear Feet (129 folders, 17 boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged into four series: Series 1: Project Drawings; Series 2: Project Correspondence; Series 3: Project Photographs; Series 4: Presentation Renderings.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Records were given by Ulisse M. Nolan and Thomas B. Holcombe, Jr. to Tulane in 1977.
- Architectural drawings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Architecture -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architecture, Domestic -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US