Skip to main content

Andry and Feitel Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: SEAA-043

Scope and Contents

This collection of records from New Orleans architects Andry and Feitel (with Paul Andry, 1868-1946 and Arthur Feitel, 1891-1982)'s office, as well as predecessor offices, includes project drawings and specifications for residential, social, and religious projects in New Orleans, across Louisiana, and throughout the United States. Scant professional correspondence, specifications, and photographs are also maintained.

Dates

  • 1910–1970

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection is the physical property of Tulane University Special Collections. Copyright belongs to the creators or their legal heirs and assigns. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or owner’s heir for permission to publish where Tulane University Special Collections does not hold the copyright. For further information, please contact Research Services at specialcollections@tulane.edu.

Biographical / Historical

Paul Andry had a long career as an architect in New Orleans, working initially with Benjamin Morgan Harrod (1837-1912, Harrod and Andry), then with Albert Bendernagel (Andry and Bendernagel). With Harrod, he designed the buildings of the first phase of construction of Tulane University. With Bendernagel, he was responsible for buildings of the second phase of construction of Tulane. Later, after several years on his own, Andry partnered with architect Arthur Feitel, with whom he was still working at the time of his death. Andry was succeeded as partner in the Andry and Feitel firm by his son, Charles G. Andry, who had been working in the firm for twenty years. Charles G. Andry was partnered with Arthur Feitel until his death in 1972.

Office chronology: Andry and Bendernagel (1900-1913) (Albert J. Bendernagel, Sr., 1876-1952); Paul Andry (1913-1922); Paul Andry, Arthur Feitel, Associates (1923-1925); Andry and Feitel (1926-1972).

Extent

167.96 Linear Feet (49 folders, 2 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

This collection is arranged into two series: Series 1: Project Drawings; Series 2: Project Correspondence, Specifications, and Photographs.

Custodial History

Records were generated and preserved by Andry and Feitel and predecessor offices until Arthur Feitel closed the office in the mid-1970s. Flat files containing the drawings were acquired by Sanchez Auction Company of New Orleans. Sanchez sold the flat files to Dr. Latour, who did not want the drawings, but recognized their value. Dr. Latour then gave the records to Tulane University in 1977. Additional records were given by the Historic New Orleans Collection, which they had received from Feitel’s widow, Mary Ory Feitel, in 1984. Drawings for the Ursuline Convent were given by the Ursuline Convent in the 1990s.
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US