Louisiana Historic Sites Material Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection includes original maps prepared by Bernard Lemann (1905-2001), for his 1967 Historic Areas and Structures survey of historic buildings and areas of Orleans Parish, Louisiana. Area maps of the city show individual properties, which were color-coded to indicate relative importance. The survey was prepared as part of the Community Renewal Project for the New Orleans City Planning Commission. Included is a photographic supplement, with photos taken by Elizabeth “Betsy” Swanson, of Lemann’s 1969 Historic Sites Inventory, essentially a 1967 survey expanded to include Jefferson and St. Bernard Parishes. This survey was prepared for the Regional Planning Commission through Rader and Associates. Original maps, prepared by William Haaq of Louisiana State University, locate Indian mounds in the tri-parish area; these are also maintained.
- Lemann, Bernard, 1905-2000 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection is the physical property of Tulane University Special Collections. Copyright belongs to the creators or their legal heirs and assigns. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or owner’s heir for permission to publish where Tulane University Special Collections does not hold the copyright. For further information, please contact Research Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4.62 Linear Feet (1 box, 1 folder)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged into two series: Series 1: Commissioned Photographs; Series 2: City Planning Studies and Survey Maps.
Maps prepared in connection with the 1967 Historic Areas and Structures survey were submitted by Lemann to Community Renewal Project with narrative material and used as the basis for final report. After report was issued, maps were returned to Lemann who placed them in Special Collections Division of the library. Photographic supplement to 1969 inventory was submitted along with Haag maps and other information to Rader and used as basis for final report (copy in Louisiana Collection). Supplement was photocopied by Rader and issued as a part of the final report. After report was issued, supplement and Haag maps were returned to Lemann, who placed them in the Louisiana Collection (now Louisiana Research Collection), but they were later transferred to SEAA.
- Language of description
- Script of description