Cecelia Macfarlane Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of personal and collected papers of Cecelia C. Macfarlane of New Orleans, La. Included are handwritten and typed correspondence, school papers, scrapbooks, poems, photographs, biographical information, a passport, religious papers, a naturalization certificate, an 1879 high school diploma from New Orleans public schools, financial documents, legal papers, newspaper clippings and other printed items. A letter from Judge Don A. Pardee, and a photograph of him, are included. Mid-nineteenth century papers collected by Ms. Macfarlane include a marriage certificate and slave sale papers. Photocopies accompany some documents.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Cecelia Caswell Macfarlane (1862-1957) was born in Uruguay of parents Thomas Macfarlane and Amanda Malvinia Prague Macfarlane. The family moved to New Orleans, La. where Cecelia eventually became a naturalized citizen of the United States. For many years, Cecelia Macfarlane worked for the U. S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, first as secretary to Judge Don A. Pardee, and then for over thirty years as Librarian of the Court. She remained unmarried and lived most of her life at 1821 Carondelet St., New Orleans; she retired in 1950.
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Arranged by document type and chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired in 1957 from the estate of Cecelia C. Macfarlane, with later additions.
Processed by Susanna Powers. Edited for ArchivesSpace by Althea Topek.
- Pardee, Don Albert, 1837-1919.
- African Americans--Southern States--History--To 1863 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Courts -- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judges -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Librarians -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Local sources
- New Orleans (La) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Slave records--Louisiana Subject Source: Local sources
- Slavery -- Louisiana -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Cecelia Macfarlane collection
- Language of description
- Script of description