Skip to main content

Moise H. Goldstein Office Records

 Collection
Identifier: SEAA-004

Scope and Contents

This collection of records from New Orleans architect Moise H. Goldstein's office, as well as records from successor offices, includes project drawings, correspondence, and photographs for residential, commercial, institutional, educational, and religious commissions. Projects were done in New Orleans, throughout Louisiana, and a few cities throughout the United States.

Dates

  • 1916-1963

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection is the physical property of Tulane University Special Collections. Copyright belongs to the creators or their legal heirs and assigns. It is the responsibility of the researcher to determine who holds the copyright and pursue the copyright owner or owner’s heir for permission to publish where Tulane University Special Collections does not hold the copyright. For further information, please contact Research Services at specialcollections@tulane.edu.

Biographical / Historical

Moise Herbert Goldstein was born in New Orleans in 1882. He graduated from Tulane University (B.E. 1902) and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.S. 1905). He briefly partnered with New Orleans architect, H. Jordan Mackenzie (1870-1956) under the name Mackenzie and Goldstein. He then worked with C. Collins Diboll, Sr. (1869-1936) and Allison Owen, Sr. (1869-1951) under Diboll, Owen, and Goldstein. He then went on to establish his own practice from 1914-1940 and with Associates from 1940-1947.

He designed the American Bank Building, Temple Sinai (with Emile Weil), Emlah Court Apartments, and Feibleman Department Store, all in New Orleans. He also designed early buildings for Dillard University’s campus, as well as Dinwiddie Hall and the first Howard-Tilton Memorial Library (now Joseph Merrick Jones Hall) for Tulane University.

In 1947, Goldstein made Frederick D. Parham (1893-1971) and F. Monroe Labouisse (1911-1998) partners with him, changing the name of the firm to Goldstein, Parham, and Labouisse. The firm became prolific, designing many mid-20th century buildings. Commissions included New Orleans City Hall, the New Orleans Public Library, and Moisant Airport (now Louis Armstrong Airport). The firm dissolved in 1962, and Goldstein worked briefly with his son, architect Louis A. Goldstein, in 1963. He remained in the city until his death in 1972.

Extent

206.32 Linear Feet (60 oversize folders; 10 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

The collection is arranged into four series: Series 1: Project Drawings; Series 2: Project Correspondence; Series 3: Project and Personal Photographs; Series 4: Project Renderings and Proposal.

Custodial History

After the breakup of Goldstein, Parham, and Labouisse in 1962, the records of the firm were divided. Parham and Labouisse took some material, chiefly items pertaining to projects with which they had been especially involved. Moise Goldstein kept the remainder. He practiced a short time longer with his son, Louis Goldstein, but then retired. Louis continued a little longer on his own, but in 1965 moved to Michigan. Before leaving, Louis donated the bulk of the material to the original Manuscripts Division of the Tulane Library, along with some of his own records. All of this material was transferred to SEAA in 1980.

A few items were donated by Goldstein’s widow, who also gave some things to Dillard University. Further donations came from Milton G. Scheurermann, Jr., formerly a member of the Goldstein, Parham, and Labouisse office. In the late 1980s, Louis Goldstein gave a small group of items found in a house owned by his father in Pass Christian, Mississippi.
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US