Edward A. Parsons papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of personal, professional, and collected items of Edward A. Parsons of New Orleans, La. Included are correspondence, post cards, greeting cards, telegrams, speeches, essays, programs, invitations and other items of social ephemera such as Carnival ephemera, financial and business documents, a map, photographs, pamphlets, advertisements, dust jackets and end papers, journal issues, newsletters, books, newspaper clippings and other printed items. Also included are collected items on various topics of interest such as India, the history of printing, book collecting, book stores, publishing, and the Vieux Carre. Some undated advertisements appear to have been created in the nineteenth century.
- Parsons, Edward Alexander, 1878-1962 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Edward Alexander Parsons (1878-1962) of New Orleans, La., was an author, historian, attorney, and self-described bibliophile. According to his stationery, he was the Director of the "Bibliotheca Parsoniana" or his large personal library covering a wide range of topics. He was active in the Louisiana Historical Society and numerous other cultural organizations. The collection was divided among many recipients by 1969.
2.5 Linear Feet (2 boxes and 1 oversized folder)
Language of Materials
Arranged by document type and chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired in 1969 from Mrs. Charles J. MacMurdo, a daughter of Edward A. Parsons.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Book collectors -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Carnival -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Historians -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Louisiana Historical Society.
- New Orleans (La) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Parsons, Edward Alexander, 1878-1962
- Printing -- History Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Private libraries -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Vieux Carré (New Orleans, La) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Edward A. Parsons papers finding aid
- Written for OCLC by Susanna Powers
- 2016 July 12
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description