Hurt family papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of personal and professional papers of members of the Hurt family of Louisiana, particularly of Ashley Davis Hurt. Included are handwritten and typed correspondence, school papers, a poem, speeches, certificates, newspaper clippings and other printed items. A. D. Hurt's correspondents include William Preston Johnston and William O. Rogers. Also included are items relating to the Robinson family.
- Hurt family. (Family)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U. S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Dr. Ashley Davis Hurt (about 1834-1898) was a member of the faculty of Tulane University. From 1884-1894 he was headmaster of the Tulane High School and from 1894 until his death he was professor of Greek and a classical languages scholar. His daughter, Mrs. Henry W. Robinson, is also represented in the collection; she donated much of her father's library to Tulane University, and is the mother of this collection's donor.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
Arranged by document type and chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired in 1966 from Henry M. Robinson of New Orleans, in honor of his grandfather, Ashley Davis Hurt.
- Rogers, William O. (William Oscar), 1825-1919.
- Classical languages -- Study and teaching -- United States Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Educators -- United States Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Hurt family.
- Hurt, Ashley Davis, -1898
- Johnston, William Preston (1831-01-05-1899-07-16)
- New Orleans (La) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Robinson family.
- School administrators -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Southern States -- Intellectual life -- 19th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Tulane University -- History.
- Universities and colleges -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Hurt family papers finding aid
- Written for OCLC by Susanna Powers.
- 2016 July 6
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description