W.P.A. Federal Arts Project World War II poster collection
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of silk screen posters produced by the Federal Arts Project of the W.P.A. on behalf of the War Services Program of Louisiana and other organizations. Artists involved in this project include John McCrady, Roland G. Duvernet, T.A. Byrne, and others. The topics of posters deal with rationing and conservation, recruitment, public health, domestic security and national secrets, and with the sale of war bonds and stamps.
- War Services Program (La.) (Organization)
- United States. Works Progress Administration of Louisiana. (Organization)
- Gregory, Angela, 1903-1990. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is restricted. Please consult the Tulane University Digital Library for digital images of the collection. The originals are held in protective storage. Researchers can view the originals only after using the digital scans first. Please ask a Reading Room employee for assistance.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The Federal Arts Project of the WPA produced these posters for the war effort between 1940-1941 under the direction of Angela Gregory, State Supervisor for the Federal Arts Project. The group's workshop was located at 718 Toulouse Street in New Orleans, La.
2 Linear Feet (Collection is housed in 1 box and 2 oversized folders. )
Language of Materials
Posters are physically arranged by size and alphabetically by title. The digital images are arranged alphabetically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Lyle Saxon.
- Arts, American -- Louisiana -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil defense -- United States -- Citizen participation Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil defense -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Defenses -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- United States Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Saxon, Lyle, 1891-1946. (Person)
- W.P.A. Federal Arts Project World War II poster collection finding aid
- In Progress
- Andrew Mullins, III
- 2016 June 6
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US