New Orleans Academy of Sciences records
This collection consists of organizational records and other items collected by the New Orleans Academy of Sciences. Included are handwritten and typed correspondence, financial documents, scholarly papers, programs, reports, notes and bibliographies, speeches, minutes of annual meetings including the first preliminary meeting in 1853, membership information, partially printed form letters, photographic portraits, pamphlets, newspaper clippings and other printed items. Topics of interest to the society were wide-ranging and included medicine, botany, and other disciplines. A portion of the collection deals exclusively with the organization's plans to build an arboretum in City Park. Individuals represented in this collection include John L. Riddell, Robert Usher, and Robert Glenk. Typed transcriptions or photocopies accompany some documents.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
20 Linear Feet (9 boxes and 30 volumes)
Biographical / Historical
The New Orleans Academy of Sciences was organized in 1853, and was active through the twentieth century. It organized regular meetings and lectures on topics related to local concerns (such as forestry in Louisiana) or issues of the time at which they were given (such as, in the 1940s, the Second World War). The Academy, in conjunction with the local American Association for the Advancement of Science, sponsored an annual research grant open to competitive proposal from members of the society or community. The Academy also sponsored efforts to establish a Junior Academy in the city and foster an interest in science in area high schools. Membership consisted primarily of persons engaged in scientific professions or pursuits in Louisiana, including a noticeable number of the faculty and staff of local universities.
Arranged by document type and chronologically.
Processed by Andrew Mullins, Michael Ossorguine, and James Scott.
- Biologists -- United States.
- Glenk, Robert, 1870-1950
- Medicine -- United States -- History.
- Natural history -- Louisiana.
- New Orleans (La.) -- Intellectual life -- 19th century.
- New Orleans (La.) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.
- New Orleans Academy of Sciences.
- Physicians -- Louisiana -- New Orleans.
- Physicians -- United States.
- Research -- Louisiana -- New Orleans.
- Riddell, John Leonard, 1807-1867.
- Scientists -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 19th century.
- Scientists -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 20th century.
- Usher, Robert James,, 1880-
- New Orleans Academy of Sciences finding aid
- Scope and Contents and Biographical Information written for OCLC/World Cat by Susanna Powers. Edited and imported into ArchivesSpace by Andrew Mullins, III. Data entry by James Scott.
- 2016 April 25
- Description rules
- Language of description