Jon Hamer papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of personal, military, and family papers of John F. S. Hamer, known to his friends as Jon. Included are handwritten and typed correspondence, post cards, greeting cards, numerous World War II-era v-mails, programs, a log book of letters received, tax and financial documents, legal papers, certificates, notes, night club ephemera, journal issues, newspaper clippings and sections, a book, and other printed items. Sgt. Hamer's most frequent correspondent was Sgt. J. H. Hildahl, called Harvey. Some photocopies of nineteenth-century family papers are included.
- 1876-1950 (bulk 1940s)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
John Francis Shepert Hamer II (born 1909 or 1910) of Texas, was stationed at Camp Polk, La., from 1942 to 1945. Immediately prior to the war, he had lived in Fort Worth, Tex., with his aunt and uncle. He had a wide circle of friends, mostly stationed at other domestic Army bases. When on leave, they would visit New Orleans, Alexandria, La., or other American cities, to enjoy the company of others in the gay community. Within this collection, different letter authors addressed him in writing alternately as Jon, John, or Johnny.
3 Linear Feet (3 boxes and 1 v.)
Language of Materials
Arranged by document type and chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired in 1969 from Jon Hamer of San Francisco, Calif.
- Gay military personnel Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Gays -- Southern States -- History Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Hamer, John F. S., (John Francis Shepert), II, 1909 or 1910-
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers' writings, American Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History, Military -- 20th century Subject Source: Lcnaf
- United States. Army -- Gays
- World War, 1939-1945 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jon Hamer papers
- Written for OCLC by Susanna Powers
- 2016 April 15
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description