Clapp family papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of personal and collected papers of Clapp family members in the southeastern United States, particularly of Lewis and Ida Clapp of New Orleans, La. Included are handwritten and typed family and business correspondence, greeting cards, post cards received from foreign countries, a telegram, family photographs and a negative, a poster advertising sales of antiques in New Orleans, financial documents such as papers concerning utilities, taxes, doctor visits, antique shop transactions and auctions, church programs and religious items, sports bulletins, newspaper clippings and other printed items. Other individuals and families represented in this collection include Griffin, Oates, Kirkpatrick, Stone, and Herman.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Lewis A. Clapp, an architect with Moise H. Goldstein, and his wife, Ida M. Griffin Clapp, lived at various New Orleans addresses at least from the 1920s to the mid-1950s, including St. Peter St., Bourbon St., and Pauger St. They were interested in collecting antiques and following sports, and attended Protestant churches. Mrs. Clapp had come from Covington, Tenn. They had relatives in Texas.
1 Linear Feet (1 box )
Language of Materials
Arranged by document type and chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired in 1968 from Mr. Val Sausereau of Curtis & Davis, Co., New Orleans, La..
- Antiques business Subject Source: Fast
- Antiques business -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Architects Subject Source: Fast
- Architects -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Clapp family.
- History Subject Source: Fast
- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Fast
- Manners and customs Subject Source: Fast
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Southern States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Southern States -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Clapp family papers finding aid
- Written for OCLC/WorldCat by Susanna Powers. Imported into ArchivesSpace and edited by Andrew Mullins, III.
- 2016 April 15
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description