Abner Phelps diaries
Scope and Contents
This collection contains four diaries from Abner Phelps. Phelps was a clerk of the city court for Lafayette, a suburb of New Orleans that was annexed in 1852. Phelps' diaries contain brief accounts of his daily life, and typical entries include his activities, moods, and the weather. The diaries cover the years from 1837-1849. Phelps frequently mentioned the diseases that famously plagued New Orleans, discussing yellow fever deaths in 1843 and 1846, and cholera in 1848. In May 1846, Phelps discussed recruiting volunteers to fight in the Mexican-American army under command of General Zachary Taylor. In 1849, Phelps left the city and set out, eventually ending up in North Fork digging for gold. Phelps eventually settled in San Francisco, where he died in 1873.
- Other: Date acquired: 08/05/1997
- Phelps, Abner, Col., d. 1873. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Abner Phelps resided in New Orleans, La., from 1837-1844. He lost his first wife and two children in a yellow fever epidemic. He served as a colonel in the Mexican-American War. In the 1850s, Phelps settled in San Francisco, Calif., where he died on Dec. 28, 1873. The Abner Phelps House at 1111 Oak St., San Francisco, still stands in the twenty-first century, as a privately-owned historic landmark.
0.25 Linear Feet (4 volumes)
The collection consists of 4 diaries. Volumes 1 and 2 are large, blank ledger sized volumes. Volumes 3 and 4 are small, pre-printed (dated) diaries. The collection is 0.25 linear foot.
Physical Access Requirements
Please note that volumes 1 and 2 are missing pages. Some pages from volume 2 have been recovered in a folder. Please handle with care.
Source of Acquisition
Gordon G. Phelps.
Method of Acquisition
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 698212638
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Louisiana -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Mexican War, 1846-1848 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- 1815-1861 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Yellow fever -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Eira Tansey
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description