Quarante Club records and collection
This collection consists of organizational records and collected books of the Quarante Club of New Orleans, La. Included are printed membership lists, courses of study, notes, presentations, constitution and bylaws, reports, correspondence, financial documents, microfilm, and compact discs. Also included are collected published books, many of which were authored by club members over the years.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
The Quarante Club in New Orleans, one of the longest standing women's literary groups in the United States, began in 1886. Still in existence in the twenty-first century, the club has traditionally studied European and American life and culture, while encouraging members and others to write. Notable members included Ruth McEnery Stuart, Grace King, Mary Ashley Townsend, Mrs. William Preston Johnston, and Mollie E. Moore Davis.
11.5 Linear Feet (19 boxes and 36 volumes. )
Language of Materials
Arranged by document or object type and chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired from the Quarante Club in 1973 with later additions.
- Davis, M. E. M. (Mollie Evelyn Moore), 1852-1909.
- King, Grace Elizabeth, 1852-1932.
- Stuart, Ruth McEnery, 1856-1917.
- Townsend, Mary Ashley, 1832-1901.
- Book clubs (Discussion groups) -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Clubs -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History Subject Source: Local sources
- New Orleans (La) -- Intellectual life Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Poetry, American Subject Source: Local sources
- Women -- Societies and clubs -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Women authors, American Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Quarante Club (New Orleans, La.) (Organization)
- Quarante Club records and collection
- In Progress
- Information originally written for World Cat by Susanna Powers. Entered, edited, and inventory created by Andrew Mullins, III.
- 2016 March 10
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US