René F. Clerc collection
This collection consists of professional and collected papers of René F. Clerc of Louisiana. Included are numerous inscribed photographs of politicians, groups, steamboats, the Huey P. Long Bridge and various places; edited texts; maps; journal issues, newspaper clippings and other printed items. Subjects of photographic portraits in this collection include Jimmie Davis, John Nance Garner, F. Edward Hébert, Richard W. Leche, Huey P. Long, Russell B. Long, John H. Overton, Sam T. Rayburn, Sam H. Jones, Allen J. Ellender, and Franklin D. Roosevelt, as well as a signed photograph of René Clerc. Also Included are photographs and items of ephemera concerning the Jefferson Islands Democratic Club, and printed items concerning waterways, and the International House in New Orleans.
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
René Ferdinand Clerc, Sr. (1875-1954) was a Louisiana businessman and a president of the New Orleans Board of Trade. He associated with politicians of the Democratic Party, and travelled to Washington, D.C., as well as the exclusive Jefferson Islands Club gatherings in Chesapeake Bay, Maryland.
2.5 Linear Feet (3 boxes and 1 volume. )
Language of Materials
Arranged by document type and alphabetically by subject of photographs.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired in 1969 from Philip B. Clerc of Lafayette, La., a son of René F. Clerc.
- Davis, Jimmie, 1899-2000.
- Hébert, Felix Edward, 1901-1979.
- Jones, Sam H. (Sam Houston), 1897-1978.
- Leche, Richard W. (Richard Webster), 1898-1965.
- Long, Huey Pierce, 1893-1935.
- Long, Russell B.
- Overton, John Holmes, 1875-1948.
- Waterways -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Businessmen -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Democratic Party (La.)
- Ellender, Allen J., 1890-1972
- Garner, John Nance, 1868-1967
- Governors -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Huey P Long Bridge (Jefferson Parish, La) Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- International House (New Orleans, La.)
- Jefferson Islands Club
- Louisiana -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Commerce -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph collections -- United States Subject Source: Local sources
- Politicians -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Rayburn, Sam, 1882-1961
- Roosevelt, Franklin D. ((Franklin Delano),), 1882-1945
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- In Progress
- OCLC record by Susanna Powers. Entered and edited by Andrew Mullins, III.
- 2016 March 6
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description