Colonel Bryan Black papers
This collection consists of personal, military, and collected World War I papers of Lt. Col. Bryan Black of New Orleans, La. Included are handwritten and typed correspondence, numerous collected post cards, greeting cards, military papers, financial documents, a diary, family and military photographs and negatives, a published set of stereographic photographs concerning World War I, telegrams, programs, items of social ephemera, printed pictures, advertisements, tags, tickets, fabric, medals, a cloth doll, military collar ornaments, buckles, buttons bearing slogans, ribbons, pins, books, pamphlets, newspaper clippings and other printed items. The letters, predominantly written by Lt. Col. Black to his wife, concern family matters as well as his daily activities while stationed in France.
- Black, Bryan, 1872-1962 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Bryan Black (1872-1962) of New Orleans, La., was an officer in the 140th Field Artillery (Washington Artillery), American Expeditionary Forces, stationed at Messac and Valdahon, France during World War I. He and his wife and three children lived on Arabella St. during the time period of this collection. After his military service, Bryan Black went into the insurance business.
3.5 Linear Feet (7 boxes. )
Language of Materials
Arranged by document type and chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated in 1962 by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Carmer, Mr. and Mrs. C. Frederick Abbott, and Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Black.
- Soldiers -- United States -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- France -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers' writings, American Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- Army -- American Expeditionary Forces -- Military life -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Local sources
- United States -- History, Military Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1914-1918 Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script