Frank G. Otis papers
This collection consists of personal, business, and collected papers of Frank G. Otis of New Orleans, La. Included are typed correspondence, greeting cards, post cards, telegrams, business papers, financial documents, family photographs, diaries, insurance and tax papers, calling cards, invitations and other items of social ephemera, a metal calling card case, ribbons, a rubber stamp, travel logbooks and souvenirs, menus, an address book, advertisements, newspaper clippings and other printed items. Correspondents included his brother William, Gus Katz, the U. S. Board of Economic Warfare, architects, attorneys, a real estate agent, and an interior decorator. Numerous post cards from soldiers on duty during World War I were received by Otis Manufacturing Co., acknowledging a gift of cigarettes.
- Otis, Frank G., 1888-1961 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Access is unrestricted.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Frank G. Otis (ca. 1888-1961) was a New Orleans businessman who worked as an importer and manufacturer of mahogany. Otis Manufacturing Company was established in 1867. In the early twentieth century, Frank Otis arranged the construction of apartment homes, one of which was leased by Gustave Katz (1870-1940), a partner in the Katz & Besthoff drug stores. Mr. Otis traveled extensively in Latin America, on business, and participated in activities of the U. S. Board of Economic Warfare in the World War II era.
6 Linear Feet (8 boxes)
Language of Materials
Arranged by document type and chronologically. Boxes are marked 1-4, 18-20, and 22; boxes 5-17 and 21 were withdrawn in 1998.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired in 1962.
- Small business -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Businessmen -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Family-owned businesses -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- International trade Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Katz, Gustave, 1870-1940
- Mahogany Industry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Commerce -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Otis Family
- Otis Manufacturing Co. (New Orleans, La.)
- United States. Board of Economic Warfare
- Frank G. Otis papers
- Written for WorldCat/OCLC by Susanna Powers. Edited and entered into ArchivesSpace by Andrew Mullins, III.
- 2016 April 12
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description