St. Clair Adams papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists primarily of the documents of Richard Leche's defense attorneys. New Orleanian Richard W. Leche, Louisiana governor from 1936 until his resignation in 1939, was later charged with bribery, contempt, income tax evasion, mail fraud, oil fraud and conspiracy to defraud the state. He was convicted of mail fraud and was sentenced in 1940 to ten years in Atlanta federal prison. He was parolled in 1945 and given a full pardon by President Truman in 1952. Most of the papers in the collection concern cases in which St. Clair Adams, Sr. (1878-1945) defended Richard Leche. There are drafts of briefs, motions, pleas, projected questions for witnesses, lists of jurors, notes and supportive data for the defense, anticipated objections for cross examination, and witness testimony in the St. Clair Adams papers
- Other: Majority of material found in 1939-1940
- Adams, St. Clair, 1878-1945 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged by subject. It consists of 4 boxes and is 2 linear feet.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of the law firm of St. Clair & St. Clair. Date acquired: 12/04/1964.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 692313943
- Leche, Richard W. (Richard Webster), 1898-1965.
- Trials (Misconduct in office) -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Governors -- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lawyers -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Louisiana -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Louisiana. Governor, 1936-1939. (Richard W. Leche)
- Politicians -- Louisiana Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Telegrams Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Deirdre Barr
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note