John Karlem Riess papers
Scope and Contents
John Karlem "Ducky" Riess (1913-2005) was professor of physics at Tulane University from 1943 to 1978 as well as professor emeritus (1978-2005) and faculty advisor to the fraternity system. The collection consists of Riess' personal papers, research materials relating to his publications, offprints of articles, correspondence, family papers, photographs, stamps, drawings, clippings, and awards. There are also materials related to his research on John Leonard Riddell. John Riess, the father of John Karlem Riess, was a local contractor, and some of his papers are included in the collection, as well as those of Alma Sirera Riess (mother), Mary Riess (sister), Oscar Riess (uncle), and Viola Sirera Ransmeier (aunt).
- Other: Majority of material found in 1920s-1990s
- Riess, Karlem. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
John Karlem "Ducky" Riess (1913-2005) served as professor of physics at Tulane University (1943-1978), faculty advisor to the fraternity system, and professor emeritus. Born in New Orleans, Riess graduated from Tulane University with his B.S. in chemistry in 1933 and M.S. in mathematics in 1935. He received a Ph.D. in physics from Brown University in 1943. He won numerous awards and actively participated in many fraternal and academic organizations throughout his long career, including Phi Kappa Sigma, ODK, and Phi Beta Kappa. Riess died in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The Alpha of Louisiana Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa has named an annual award, given to the most outstanding new inductee, in his honor.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically by topic as follows: personal papers, family papers, business papers, publications, certificates, photographs, bound volumes, certificates, and awards. The collection consists of sixteen boxes and 22 volumes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the John Karlem "Ducky" Riess estate. Date acquired: 11/30/2005.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 430215319
Collection processed by Kevin Fontenot, revised in 2009 by Eira Tansey.
- Riess, John.
- Riess, Karlem.
- Awards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Lectures Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Orleans (La) -- History -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Photograph albums Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Physics teachers -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Riddell, John Leonard, 1807-1867
- Riess family.
- School records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Scientists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Sirera family.
- Tulane University -- History.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note