Rudolph Matas papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of biographical and personal papers, correspondence, clinical histories, photographs and sketches of aneurysm patients, lectures, syllabi, papers, notes, diaries, speeches, abstracts, patient account books, scrapbooks, articles by Matas, newspaper clippings, photographs, personal memorabilia, Tulane memorabilia, and bibliographic cards. There is a scrapbook of the Louisiana State Medical Society created during Dr. Matas' presidency as well as his History of Louisiana State Medical School and History of Medicine in Louisiana. Matas was born in Louisiana and was closely tied to Tulane University from the time of his graduation from the University of Louisiana Medical School, predecessor of Tulane Medical School, in 1880.
- Other: Date acquired: 04/08/1969
- Matas, Rudolph, 1860-1957. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Rudolph Matas (1860-1957) was a noted physician, surgeon, teacher, leader in medical societies locally in New Orleans and internationally, and innovator of surgical methods. Matas was born in Louisiana and is closely associated with Tulane University from the time of his graduation from the University of Louisiana Medical School, predecessor of Tulane Medical School, in 1880.
81 Linear Feet
The collection is arranged as follows: biographical and personal documents and papers of Rudolph Matas; correspondence, both personal and professional; medical practice and clinical histories; sketches and photographs of medical cases; teaching lectures, syllabi, and notes; diaries; speeches; papers, abstracts, memorials, and case notes; patient account books; history of medicine manuscript; Charity Hospital history; Louisiana State Medical Society and Orleans Parish Medical Society materials; published articles of Dr. Matas and others; newspaper clippings; photographs; Matas decorations, medals, and oral history; Tulane University items; medical slides; phonograph records; biographical bibliography index cards; file drawer of bibliographical cards, and oversized items. The collection consists of 56 boxes and one oversize folder. It is 81 linear feet.
Source of Acquisition
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 236484935
Collection originally processed by Helen Burkes in 1994.
- Louisiana State Medical Society.
- Bibliographies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Charity Hospital (New Orleans, La.)
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Medicine -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Physicians -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Physicians -- United States Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sketches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tulane University. School of Medicine.
- Eira Tansey
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description