Benjamin Farar papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists correspondence to and from Benjamin Farar. Many of the letters are from New Orleans, from Farar's wife, Mary Ellis, and her sister Jane Ellis Rapalje, and his daughters Mary Farar and Anna Farar Mercer, wife of Dr. William N. Mercer. The letters contain information on family matters, comments on local news, relations of balls, races, theatre and other amusements. The letters from Farar are for the most part written from Laurel Hill plantation, near Natchez, and contain descriptions of plantation life, planting crops and social activities in Natchez. Other letters are from friends and business associates and deal with both personal and business matters. Among the correspondents are Abner L. Duncan, William Kenner. John Dick, Thomas Butler. Also included are Patent Letters for land in Adams County, Miss., issued to Thomas Hutchins, and a Spanish land grant signed by Miro to Benjamin Farar.
- Farar, Benjamin (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Benjamin Farar owned Laurel Hill Plantation in southern Mississippi. He was married to Mary Ellis Farar; they had two daughters, Mary and Anna. His business associates included Thomas Butler, John Dick, Abner L. Duncan, and William Kenner.
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Pierce Butler, Jr. Date acquired: 07/06/1958.
Collection finding aid created by intern Ariel St. Etienne. Subjects and authority files added by Andrew Mullins, III in 2018.
- Laurel Hill Plantation (Miss) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Natchez (Miss) -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Plantation life -- Mississippi -- History -- 19th century Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plantation owners -- Southern States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plantations -- Mississippi -- Adams County Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ariel St.Etienne
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description