Antonio de Sedella collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of copies and translations of documents from Documentos Procendentes de la Isla de Cuba, the Society of the Propagation of the Faith, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Michel Pontalba Library relating to Padre Antonio de Sedella (Pere Antoine), who served as parish priest of New Orleans from 1785-1790 and 1795-1805.
- Sedella, Antonio de. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Lousiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Padre Antonio de Sedella (Pere Antoine) (1748-1829) was a Capuchin friar who served as parish priest in New Orleans from 1785-1790 and 1795-1805. He was sent to Louisiana as commissary of the Inquisition in 1779. He was pastor of St. Louis Cathedral during the period following the Louisiana Purchase.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically. The collection consists of one box.
Collection processed in 1988 by HB and ML.
- Miro, Esteban, 1744-1795.
- Sedella, Antonio de.
- Biographies Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Catholic Church.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Inquisition -- Spain -- Colonies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- St. Louis Cathedral (New Orleans, La.)
- Translations Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Typescripts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Antonio de Sedella collection
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note