James Wilkinson collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of copies of correspondence (1788-1818) and two original land transactions (1818-1819) involving James Wilkinson (1757-1825). Wilkinson was governor of the Louisiana Territory in 1805. He was also known to be involved in what was known as the "Burr Conspiracy." Correspondents include George Washington, Juan Ventura Morales, Thomas Jefferson, and W.C.C. Claiborne.
- Wilkinson, James, 1757-1825. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
James Wilkinson (1757-1825) served under General Horatio Gates during the Revolutionary War. Following the war, he moved to Kentucky, where he worked to gain its statehood. In 1787 Wilkinson turned traitor and began a long-lasting relationship as a secret agent of Spain. After Thomas Jefferson purchased Louisiana from Napoleon Bonaparte, Wilkinson was named territorial governor of northern Louisiana. He also served as the commander in chief of the U.S. Army. Wilkinson also engaged in a plot with Aaron Burr to set up an independent nation in the West. Wilkinson was tried for, but was later acquitted of, treason. He rose to the rank of major general in the War of 1812, but both of his campaigns failed. He published Memoirs of My Own Times in 1816 and visited Mexico in pursuit of a Texas land grant in 1821, but died while waiting. He was married to Anne Biddle and had four children.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically. The collection consists of one box.
Collection processed in 1987 by HB and ML.
- Burr, Aaron, 1756-1836.
- Claiborne, William C. C. (William Charles Cole), 1775-1817.
- Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826.
- Washington, George, 1732-1799.
- Wilkinson, James, 1757-1825.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Deeds Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Governors -- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Plaquemines Parish (La) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Property records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Translations Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Revolution, 1775-1783 Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- James Wilkinson collection
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description