Acklen family papers
Identifier: LaRC-Manuscripts Collection -86
The collection consists chiefly of copies of documents and letters from the Louisiana Land Office, covering the granting, surveying, seeling, mortgaging, and other topics, of land in West Feliciana Parish, Greensburg district, and around the Lake of the Cross. The documents pertain to tracts of land purchased by Joseph A.S. Acklen in the 1850s and trace the history of the various titles. There are also maps showing property and personal letters.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1825-1828
- Other: Date acquired: 06/06/1961
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
1 Linear Feet
This collection is arranged chronologically. It consists of 2 boxes and is 1 linear foot.
Source of Acquisition
William C. Tuhill.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 688324810
- Acklen, Joseph Alexander Smith, 1816-1863.
- West Feliciana Parish (La.) -- History -- 19th century.
- Acklen family.
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Contracts for deeds -- Louisiana.
- Insurance policies -- United States.
- Insurance policies.
- Land use -- Louisiana -- West Feliciana Parish.
- Legal documents.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Deirdre Barr
- Description rules
- Language of description