deLesseps S. Morrison papers
Identifier: OFFSITE REPOSITORY SEE NOTES-LaRC-270
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of the personal, military, mayoral, Organization of American States, and campaign papers of deLesseps S. Morrison. Included are photographs, correspondence, periodicals, and scrapbooks. Morrison was the Mayor of New Orleans from 1946-1960 and ambassador to the Organization of American States from 1961-1964.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1946-1964
- Other: Date acquired: 03/11/1965
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions. Collection is stored offsite, please contact LaRC staff at least two business days in advance to determine availability of the collection.
This collection is stored offsite and therefore boxes must be requested at least two business days in advance. We can retrieve up to 12 offsite boxes at a time. Please send a list of the boxes you would like to consult to firstname.lastname@example.org. If there are any delays or complications that would prevent us from having them delivered within two business days, we will let you know.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
deLesseps S. Morrison was mayor of the city of New Orleans from 1946 to 1961 and later appointed as Ambassador to the Organization of American States by John F. Kennedy (1961-1964). As mayor, Morrison helped clean up political corruption in the city after World War II and encouraged urban renewal.
201 Linear Feet
The collection is arranged into ten series arranged chronologically: Series 1: Personal papers, 1925-1964 Series 2: Military papers, 1932-1964 Series 3: Mayoralty, 1946-1960 Series 4: Organization of American States, 1961-1963 Series 5: Political campaigns Series 6: Photographs, 1933-1964 Series 7: Newspaper and magazine articles, 1930s-1967 Series 8: Films, tapes, and records Series 9: Other records Series 10: Scrapbooks The collection consists of 311 boxes and 55 volumes. It is 201 linear feet.
Source of Acquisition
Toni, Corinne and Anita O. Morrison.
Method of Acquisition
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Democratic Party (La.)
- International Trade Mart.
- Mayors -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organization of American States.
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Political campaigns Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- deLesseps S. Morrison papers
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description