deLesseps S. Morrison papers
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of the personal, military, mayoral, Organization of American States, and campaign papers of deLesseps S. Morrison. Included are photographs, correspondence, periodicals, and scrapbooks. Morrison was the Mayor of New Orleans from 1946-1960 and ambassador to the Organization of American States from 1961-1964.
- 1925-1964 (bulk: 1946-1964)
The collection is stored offsite. Researchers must contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least two business days (48 business hours) in advance for access to these materials.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
deLesseps S. Morrison was mayor of the city of New Orleans from 1946 to 1961 and later appointed as Ambassador to the Organization of American States by John F. Kennedy (1961-1964). As mayor, Morrison helped clean up political corruption in the city after World War II and encouraged urban renewal.
201 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into ten series arranged chronologically: Series 1: Personal papers, 1925-1964 Series 2: Military papers, 1932-1964 Series 3: Mayoralty, 1946-1960 Series 4: Organization of American States, 1961-1963 Series 5: Political campaigns Series 6: Photographs, 1933-1964 Series 7: Newspaper and magazine articles, 1930s-1967 Series 8: Films, tapes, and records Series 9: Other records Series 10: Scrapbooks The collection consists of 311 boxes and 55 volumes. It is 201 linear feet.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Toni, Corinne and Anita O. Morrison. Date acquired: 03/11/1965.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Democratic Party (La.)
- International Trade Mart.
- Mayors -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organization of American States
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Political campaigns Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- deLesseps S. Morrison papers
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note