Victor H. and Margaret G. Schiro papers
Scope and Contents
The Victor Schiro papers consist of correspondence, newspaper clippings, photographs, scrapbooks, and reading files from Schiro's period as mayor of New Orleans (1961-1970). Also included are family materials, files from Schiro's insurance company cases, as well as papers belonging to his wife, Sunny, consisting of scrapbooks, correspondence, and photographs that relate to her many philanthropic activities.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1950-1979
- Schiro, Victor H. (Victor Hugo), 1904-1992. (Person)
- Schiro, Margaret G. (Person)
The collection is stored offsite. Researchers must contact email@example.com at least two business days (48 business hours) in advance for access to these materials.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Victor Hugo Schiro (1904-1992) entered New Orleans politics in 1949 when he won a seat on the city's Commission Council. In 1961 became mayor of New Orleans when he was named to complete deLesseps S. Morrison's unexpired term. Schiro won the 1962 and 1966 re-election, remaining mayor until 1970. Schiro served New Orleans during a period of desegregation, a rebuilding effort following Hurricane Betsy, and a time that saw the building of the Louisiana Superdome. His wife, Sunny Schiro, was always by his side. Schiro died in 1992.
116 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged into twenty-six series. The contents of each series are arranged chronologically with the exception of Series 15 and 16, which are arranged alphabetically, and Series 18 and 26, which are arranged by medium. Series 1: General files Series 2: Miscellaneous Series 3: Family material Series 4: Speeches Series 5: Press releases Series 6: Reading files Series 7: Commission Council Office papers Series 8: Insurance papers: Mutual Saving case Series 9: Awards, certificates, etc. Series 10: Pamphlets Series 11: Appointment books Series 12: Clippings Series 13: Campaign volunteer and friends information Series 14: Sunny Schiro Series 15: Subject pictures Series 16: People pictures Series 17: Portraits and other photographs Series 18: Smaller framed photographs, slides, 8mm film, audio tapes, and video tapes Series 19: Unidentified photographs Series 20: Reading files (bound) Series 21: Scrapbooks Series 22: Newspapers Series 23: International House Series 24: Mutual Savings lawsuit Series 25: Biography Series 26: Commemorative items and political ephemera The collection consists of 169 boxes and 32 volumes. It is 116 linear feet.
Source of Acquisition
Donated by Jack McGuire.
- Schiro, Margaret G.
- Schiro, Victor H. (Victor Hugo), 1904-1992.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Democratic Party (La.)
- Inter-American Municipal Organization.
- International House (New Orleans, La.)
- International Trade Mart.
- Mayors -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Speeches Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Victor H. and Margaret G. Schiro papers
- LAC Group. Edited by Andrew Mullins, III.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US