Christian Woman's Exchange records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of records of the Christian Woman's Exchange of New Orleans, Louisiana, including handwritten and typed correspondence, administrative documents, and legal and financial records. The bound volumes in this collection are chiefly handwritten ledgers concerning the running of the shop and the operation of the rooming house. The collection also includes minute books, roll books, microfilm, and printed material, including annual reports and issues of the organization's newsletter, the Exchange news.
- Creation: 1881-2000
- Christian Woman's Exchange (New Orleans, La.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
120 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Collection has been arranged by organization documents, board documents, minutes of the board, financial documentation, financial volumes, fundraising events, materials pertaining to the Gallier House, materials pertaining to the Hermann-Grima House, administrative records, and volumes relating to the early Christian Woman's Exchanges' consignment shop. There are also oversized blueprints from renovations to the Gallier and Hermann-Grima houses.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Helen M. Shaw, President of Christian Woman's Exchange. Date acquired: 02/04/1973.
Collection originally processed in 1978. Rehoused with minimal rearrangement of materials in 2016 by Andrew Mullins, III and James Scott.
Genre / Form
- Annual reports.
- Ledgers (account books)
- Membership lists.
- Merchandise inventories.
- Receipts (financial records)
- Tax records.
- New Orleans (La.) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.
- New Orleans (La.) -- Economic conditions -- 20th century
- New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 19th century
- New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 20th century.
- LaRC-Christian Woman's Exchange records finding aid
- Manuscripts Collection 257
- Eira Tansey, Susanna Powers, Andrew Mullins, III, and James Scott.
- 2016 July 20
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note