Christian Woman's Exchange records
This collection consists of records of the Christian Woman's Exchange of New Orleans, Louisiana, including handwritten and typed correspondence, administrative documents, and legal and financial records. The bound volumes in this collection are chiefly handwritten ledgers concerning the running of the shop and the operation of the rooming house. The collection also includes minute books, roll books, microfilm, and printed material, including annual reports and issues of the organization's newsletter, the Exchange news.
- Other: Date acquired: 02/04/1973
- Christian Woman's Exchange (New Orleans, La.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
120 Linear Feet
Collection has been arranged by organization documents, board documents, minutes of the board, financial documentation, financial volumes, fundraising events, materials pertaining to the Gallier House, materials pertaining to the Hermann-Grima House, administrative records, and volumes relating to the early Christian Woman's Exchanges' consignment shop. There are also oversized blueprints from renovations to the Gallier and Hermann-Grima houses.
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 489712963
Collection originally processed in 1978. Rehoused with minimal rearrangement of materials in 2016 by Andrew Mullins, III and James Scott.
- Historic buildings -- Louisiana.
- Local exchange trading systems -- Louisiana.
- New Orleans (La.) -- Economic conditions -- 19th century.
- Women -- Employment -- Louisiana -- New Orleans.
- Women's exchanges -- United States -- History.
- Annual reports.
- Charitable organizations -- Louisiana -- New Orleans.
- Christian Woman's Exchange (New Orleans, La.)
- Hermann-Grima House (New Orleans, La.)
- Ledgers (account books)
- Membership lists.
- Merchandise inventories.
- New Orleans (La.) -- Economic conditions -- 20th century
- New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 19th century
- New Orleans (La.) -- History -- 20th century.
- Receipts (financial records)
- Tax records.
- Women -- United States -- Economic conditions.
- LaRC-Christian Woman's Exchange records finding aid
- Manuscripts Collection 257
- Eira Tansey, Susanna Powers, Andrew Mullins, III, and James Scott.
- 2016 July 20
- Description rules
- Language of description
- 2011: Revised and inventory entered into Archon by LAC Group in 2011.
- 2016 July 20: Additional materials added to the collection, inventory updated, and some revisions made to the Scope and Contents and Arrangement sections of the notes.