Paul Tulane papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of the personal and business papers of Paul Tulane, the nineteenth-century American businessman and philanthropist. Included are legal and financial papers, inventories of his real estate holdings, promissory notes, social and business correspondence, genealogical information relating to the Tulane family, newspaper clippings, memorabilia, portraits, photographs and negatives.
- Other: Majority of material found within 1801-1887
- Tulane, Paul, 1801-1887. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Paul Tulane was born on May 6, 1801, of French parents, near Princeton, New Jersey. In 1822, he travelled to New Orleans to follow job opportunies, and conducted commercial business throughout the southern states. By 1827, he established the firm of Paul Tulane and Company in New Orleans, which engaged in retail and wholesale trade of dry goods and clothing. He amassed a fortune in commerce as well as investing in real estate in both Louisiana and New Jersey, anticipating the disruption of the Civil War. After residing in New Orleans for fifty one years, Paul Tulane retired from business, returning to Princeton, where he lived austerely until his death on March 27, 1887. He is remembered primarily for being a philanthropist, having given generously to a variety of religious, charitable, and educational organizations. The predominant recipient of his generosity was the University of Louisiana, founded in 1834 in New Orleans, which was later renamed Tulane University.
3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic, then chronologically. It consists of 5 boxes. It is 3 linear feet.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Acquired from various donors.
Original finding aid prepared by Jeanine A. Eckholdt. First created in Archon on 5/6/2010. Updated with creator and subject headings on 7/23/2010.
- Tulane family.
- Biographies Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Orleans (La) -- Commerce Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- History Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Philanthropists -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Property records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Tulane University.
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- Jazmin Smith
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description