Skip to main content

St. Charles Hotel records

 Collection
Identifier: LaRC-204

Scope and Contents

The earliest handwritten record is in Spanish, and dates back to the 1789 sale of a plot of ground by Beltran Gravier and his wife, Maria Josefa Delonde, to Jacques A. Percy for the sum of 1,500 pesos, which later became the location of the St. Charles Hotel in New Orleans. Subsequent sales by the Percy heirs are documented with a chain of titles, to Robert Montgomery and Greenbury R. Stringer, to the Freret Brothers, to John Hagan, the Exchange Hotel in 1835, and to the St. Charles Hotel in 1844. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1851 and again in 1894. The bulk of this collection deals with the third St. Charles Hotel, which was built in 1896. The records concern managerial transitions, maintenance, building additions and renovations. The collection contains handwritten or typed correspondence and legal documents regarding the property upon which the St. Charles Hotel was built (211 St. Charles Avenue in downtown New Orleans, Louisiana), specifications for building and remodeling, and for the addition of annexes, financial records, printed material, photographs, and nineteenth-century newspaper clippings.

This collection or portions of this collection have been digitized. See Additional Description below for more information. 

Dates

  • 1789-1931

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.

Conditions Governing Use

Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.

Biographical / Historical

The earliest handwritten record is in Spanish, and dates back to the 1789 sale of a plot of ground by Beltran Gravier and his wife, Maria Josefa Delonde, to Jacques A. Percy for the sum of 1,500 pesos, which later became the location of the St. Charles Hotel in New Orleans. Subsequent sales by the Percy heirs are documented with a chain of titles, to Robert Montgomery and Greenbury R. Stringer, to the Freret Brothers, to John Hagan, the Exchange Hotel in 1835, and to the St. Charles Hotel in 1844. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1851 and again in 1894. The third St. Charles Hotel was built in 1896. It was located at 211 St. Charles Avenue in downtown New Orleans, Louisiana. The St. Charles Hotel Company leased the hotel to Andrew R. Blakely and Company in 1896. In 1910 A.R. Blakely and Company sold their managerial interests to Alfred S. Amer and Company.

Extent

7.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

The collection is arranged by topic as follows: correspondence, remodeling specifications, financial records, printed material, and volumes. The collection consists of 13 boxes and 9 volumes. It is 7.5 linear feet.

Custodial History

This collection originated as papers saved by Samuel A. Trufant, treasurer of the St. Charles Hotel Company (1896-1923), who stored the items in a large bank trunk in the Whitney Bank Vault. . The Sheraton-Charles Hotel no longer exists.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

From the ITT Sheraton Corporation of America, through the Sheraton-Charles Hotel. Date acquired: 12/02/1972.

Accruals and Additions

Additional materials added to the collection in 1972.

Existence and Location of Copies

Items in this collection can be accessed remotely by visiting the "Free People of Color in Louisiana: Revealing an Unknown Past" digital collection at the Louisiana Digital Library.

Other Descriptive Information

For a partial list of some of the items of note from the collection, please click on "Online Images and Records" for an inventory. Please note that this is an incomplete inventory of the items in the collection. OCLC Number: 608065501

Processing Information

Collection processed in 1971.

Title
Archon Finding Aid Title
Author
Jazmin Smith
Date
06/09/2011
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Revision Statements

  • 2011: Finding aid information entered in Archon by LAC Group in 2011. Revised by LAC 8/3/11.

Repository Details

Part of the Tulane University Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Jones Hall Room 202
6801 Freret Street
New Orleans 70118 US