Charles L. Dufour papers
Scope and Contents
This collection of manuscripts by Charles L. Dufour includes the research notes, original drafts, revisions, final drafts and galley and page proofs of his books "Gentle Tiger," "The Night the War Was Lost," and "Nine Men in Gray." The collection also contains correspondence and notebooks from his trips to Europe.
- Other: Majority of material found in 1950-1979
- Other: Date acquired: 12/10/1960
- Dufour, Charles L. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Charles L. "Pie" Dufour (1903-1996) was a New Orleans newspaperman, author, radio broadcaster, public relations worker, historian, and Tulane University professor. He came from a family that had moved to New Orleans in 1809, and he lived in the city except during the World War II era, when he served in the Army. He wrote twenty books, more than fifty scholarly articles, and over 9,700 installments of his daily New Orleans Item newspaper column, "Pie Dufour's a la Mode." He wrote on diverse subjects, including Louisiana history, New Orleans Carnival, law, sports, classical music, gourmet food, and European travel. Dufour worked as a reporter and columnist for the New Orleans Item (and States-Item) most of his adult life, retiring from journalism in 1978. He also wrote New Orleans, Yesterday and Today: A Guide to the City with John Chase, Walter G. Cowan, Osborne K. Leblanc, and John Wilds. He lived to the age of ninety-three.
24 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged as follows: manuscripts, notebooks (arranged chronologically), correspondence (arranged chronologically), subject files (arranged alphabetically), and bound clippings files (arranged chronologically). The collection consists of 25 boxes, 26 volumes and 1 oversize folder. It is 24 linear feet.
Source of Acquisition
Charles L. Dufour.
Method of Acquisition
Other Descriptive Information
OCLC Number: 635589676
Collection originally processed November 1961. First created in Archon on 4/19/2010. Updated with creator and subject headings on 7/27/2010.
- Authors, American -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Carnival -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil War Round Table.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Drafts (documents) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Galley proofs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Journalists -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Louisiana -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Orleans (La) -- History Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- New Orleans (La) -- Social life and customs -- 20th century Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Notebooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Charles L. Dufour papers
- Jazmin Smith
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note