A. Watson Chapman papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists primarily of the personal papers of A. Watson Chapman (1906-1972). There are biographical as well as genealogical materials about the Chapman and Watson families. His career as a chemical engineer is documented by work correspondence from Celotex Corporation in addition to Alpha Chi Sigma and other chemistry organization material. Chapman was also involved with the Tulane Board of Visitors, the Round Table Club, Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carré, and the Tulane Alumni Association. He went on a number of trips and there are many family photographs in the collection as well. Chapman's appointment books are also present, in addition to a family bible.
- Chapman, A. Watson. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
A. Watson Chapman (1906-1972) was a chemical engineer who worked for Celotex Corporation. Arden Ray Chapman of Lincoln, Nebraska was his father. Chapman graduated from Tulane University in 1927 and was later president of the Tulane Alumni Association (1948-1949). He was a collector of graphic arts and donated his collection of limited editions books to the University. He was involved with Alpha Phi Sigma, the American Association for Advancement of Science, the Chicago Chemist's Club, Tulane Board of Visitors, the Round Table Club, Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carré, and the Tulane Alumni Association.
The collection is arranged by topic as follows: biographical and genealogical material, correspondence, organizations, clippings, photographs, family bible, appointment books, and volumes. The collection consists of five boxes.
Source of Acquisition
Estate of A. Watson Chapman.
Collection processed by Helen Burkes.
- Chapman, A. Watson.
- Engineers -- Louisiana -- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Appointment books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Awards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Celotex Corporation.
- Chapman family -- Genealogy.
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Petit Théâtre du Vieux Carré (New Orleans, La.)
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Round Table Club (La.)
- Tulane Alumni Association.
- Watson family -- Genealogy.
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description