George and Mabel Simmons papers
Scope and Contents
This collection focuses primarily on the journalism careers of Mabel C. Simmons (1899-1988) and George E. Simmons (1898-1972). There are book reviews, correspondence, newspaper clippings, editorials, notes, articles, photographs, Tulane Journalism Department materials, certificates, plaques, and book reviews. George Simmons was a professor of journalism at Tulane University as well as assistant dean of Arts and Science, then acting dean (1944-1947) and associate dean. Mabel Simmons was the book editor of the Times-Picayune for many years as well as the travel editor. In addition, the collection contains a marriage and birth certificate, a will, family photographs, an obituary, genealogies, and scrapbooks.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
George E. Simmons (1898-1972) was married to Mabel Clark Simmons (1899-1988). They came to New Orleans in 1926 when the Times-Picayune established the chair of journalism at Tulane University. George Simmons was part of the Tulane community from 1926 to1963. He became a full professor in 1937 and also served as assistant dean of Arts and Science, acting dean of Arts and Science (1944-1947) and associate dean. He served as a visiting professor of journalism at several universities and was an editorial writer for the Times-Picayune.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged chronologically. Undated material is arranged by format. The collection consists of two boxes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the estate of George and Mabel Simmons. Date acquired: 11/30/1987.
Collection processed in 1989 by H.B.
- Simmons, George Evans.
- Simmons, Mabel Clarke.
- Articles Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Editorials Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Genealogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Journalists -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Tulane University. College of Arts and Sciences.
- Tulane University. Dept. of Journalism.
- Women journalists -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- George and Mabel Simmons papers
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description