Edna B. Freiberg papers
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of Edna B. Freiberg's research on the history of Bayou St. John in preparation for her book, Bayou St. John in Colonial Louisiana. There are typed and annotated notes, newspaper clippings, ordinances, biographical material, and correspondence. There are also minutes for both the Orleans Levee Board and the New Orleans City Park Improvement Association. Also included are early manuscript copies of books, New Orleans maps (copies 1723-1953), as well as cartoons by John Chase.
- Freiberg, Edna B., 1917- (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with the U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Edna B. Freiberg (1917-1981), a native of Wisconsin, was an author and historian. She was active in the Lyceum, the Tulane Association, Great Books Program, New Orleans Philharmonic Symphony, New Orleans Museum of Art, Brandeis University, Friends of the Cabildo, Louisiana Landmarks, the Bayou St. John Improvement Society, and the Zonta Club of New Orleans. Freiberg published Bayou St. John in Colonial Louisiana, 1699-1803 in 1980, and received the Literary Award from the Committee of the Louisiana Library Association. She was married to Harry A. Freiberg, Jr.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic as follows: biographical material and correspondence, speeches and reference material, book front and back matter, manuscripts of Bayou St. John, reference material arranged by historical period, voodoo reference material, law cases, notebooks, maps, and minutes. The collection consists of 27 boxes and one oversize folder.
Source of Acquisition
Harry A. Freiberg, Jr. (husband of Edna B. Freiberg).
Collection processed by Helen Burkes.
- Chase, John Churchill.
- Freiberg, Edna B., 1917-
- Bayou St. John Commission.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Legal documents Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Louisiana -- History -- To 1803 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts for publication Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Research notes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Saint John, Bayou (Orleans Parish, La.)
- Vodou -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note