James M. Todd papers
Scope and Contents
James M. Todd (1896-1970) was an engineer in Louisiana and was very active in both local and national engineering organizations. The collection includes correspondence, articles, clippings, biographical sketches, photographs, invitations, certificates, as well as a large amount of printed material related to the organizations and activities in which Todd was active. There are proceedings from the Louisiana Engineering Society, of which Todd was president and a scrapbook with clippings, correspondence, photographs, and certificates relating to his activities in the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open to the public. No known restrictions.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Louisiana Research Collection. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
James M. Todd (1896-1970) was born in Franklin, Louisiana and educated in the public schools of New Orleans. He earned a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering in 1918 and a master's degree in engineering from Tulane University (1930). He served in World War I. Most of his professional career was spent in private consulting engineering. Todd was active in the installation of air conditioning in the South; the development of the sulfur industry in Louisiana, Texas, and Mexico; the drafting of the New Orleans building code; and he designed the plumbing, electrical, and mechanical facilities of many buildings in New Orleans and the Gulf South. He was president of the Louisiana Engineering Society (1930), the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (1948), and vice-president of the Union of Pan-American Engineering Societies.
Language of Materials
The collection is arranged by topic, then chronologically, as follows: correspondence, clippings, personal papers, photographs, certificates, printed materials, scrapbook, and a volume. The collection consists of four boxes and two volumes.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Margaret T. Todd. Date acquired: 10/11/1977.
- Engineers -- Louisiana -- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Engineers -- Louisiana -- New Orleans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Todd, James M. (James Mulherrin), 1896-1970.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Journals (periodicals) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Louisiana Engineering Society.
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Library Of Congress Subject Headings
- Writings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Archon Finding Aid Title
- LAC Group
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description